Saturday, January 22, 2011

Dulux Ecosense

A brief titled Fleurons, we were asked to explore the term in the broadest sense of the word. I looked at ways I could represent the flower and plant in a subtle way, merely hinting at the suggestion of an organic form. After numerous experiments using paint, drawing and photography, I decided the imagery I created using paint splodges was the most eye catching. The texture created, the veins running through, almost looked like a close-up of a leaf. Then to use the visuals for a purpose, I thought adverts and packaging for the Dulux Ecosense range would be appropriate, as the imagery features both paint and life.

On the Dulux website you have to search to find the eco-friendly range. Many people do all they can to not harm the environment, so I thought it would be relevant to bring more attention to this range. I also wanted to encourage everyone else to buy it by suggesting that this paint is better than the standard Dulux range. It would be sold as a higher quality paint. Through the packaging and adverts, I wanted to celebrate colour and life, while promoting how the paint can bring this colour and life to your home. I would hope that these adverts would make this ecosense range appeal to people more than any other.

The Dulux website would now feature a large section about the eco-friendly paint, and the page would show the colour chart I designed, where simply hovering over the colour in the flower shape would tell you which paint it was. The colour chart booklet would be printed small so as to not waste paper, and this plus the adverts would be printed on recycled paper.

3rd Year Uni Work So Far...

So been a while since I've updated this blog, but here's what I've been doing.

This is my completed work for the first term of 3rd year:

Engross film festival:

Posters and a leaflet to advertise my hypothetical film festival.

It is an all night event that would show 6 alternative horror films on an outdoor screen in the middle of a wood. My proposed location is Fountains Abbey in North Yorkshire. I tried to reflect the horror aspect of the films in a subtle way by avoiding cliches, while at the same time suggesting the disturbing nature of the films that manage to create shocking scenes in a beautiful way. The type faces were chosen and created through the contrasting themes of elegance and bold chaos, and I created the imagery through the same thinking; the dead flower that almost looks like some kind of organ. As the contents is chaotic, I then gave a structure to the layout. The main theme of the posters is juxtaposition.

The design group Neasden Control Centre definitely inspired the visual elements. Their full busy pages of huge hand drawn type, surreal imagery and black and white scratchy drawings, shown in their book Lost Control, was the look I wanted for my posters. After experimenting however will filling the page I found it was just too much, the meaning I wanted to portray was hidden beneath the distracting mass of lines. Giving the elements room to breath meant that the opposing contradictory parts of the posters could be compared and contrasted. I hope that I have reflected the fantastically surreal, horrifying and highly considered nature of the films.


The project was called Static and we had to explore this theme in anyway possible. I explored the theme of encasement, within the theme of static. Static is encasement because it is about something being trapped, restricted and unable to move. I encased numerous things in different substances and photographed them close-up to create slightly abstract images that would create an air of mystery and intrigue. The idea of a scientific experiment was exciting me, so I decided this is what I wanted this work to look like, and the work would be exhibited in a surreal exhibition.

For the exhibition, I created 2 posters to advertise the event, as well as some of the images that would be shown in the exhibition. The leaflet is the net of a cube printed on acetate: The 'customer' can then make the cube and encase something inside to be viewed through it. The invite is a test tube that would be given out to selected guests, and the whole exhibition would feature inside a glass cube.

I struggled with the label design but at the moment I am happy with them. I think I had a strong idea and I just hope this is portrayed well.